The Outside General Counsel
The Outside General Counsel: A Sensible Option for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
Sometimes, it doesn’t make sense for small and medium-sized businesses to have an attorney on staff because there’s not enough legal work to justify the hire. A consequence of this, however, is that these businesses may unwittingly fail to get legal assistance when they need it most.
To avoid getting blindsided by problems that could have been avoided with a little help and counsel early on, many businesses rely upon an outside attorney familiar with their business to act as their general counsel.
I am uniquely positioned to serve as your outside general counsel. I have over twenty years of experience in private practice, including ten years as in-house general counsel for two public manufacturing companies. I am also a registered patent attorney. I can work closely with you, gain an understanding of your business activities and objectives, and be your strategic advisor providing focused, client-centered, and cost-effective advice and counsel on the legal issues confronting you.
As outside general counsel, I can personally provide the following services:
- Commercial and U.S. Government contracts and strategic transactions
- Employment matters, including hiring, retention, termination and employee handbooks
- Trademark, patent and other intellectual property protection
- Litigation, arbitration (domestic and international) and risk management
- Environmental compliance
- Real estate transactions (including brownfields)
- Export compliance (ITAR and EAR)
- Insurance coverage evaluation
- Corporate governance, board and shareholder resolutions, board and committee meetings, shareholder meetings, and minutes
- Executive compensation, including stock options, restricted stock agreements, and equity and non-equity based incentive compensation
- SEC and state securities law filings and reporting obligations
- Capital Raises
Another benefit of working with an outside general counsel like me is my relationships with attorneys who have the specialized skill set when the need arises. Over my years as General Counsel for two public companies, I have developed relationships with experienced specialists who can provide complex solutions when needed. In this way, I can coordinate and oversee these activities so that you don’t have to spend valuable time searching for and supervising the right person to advise you.
The fee structure for an outside general counsel arrangement is flexible, and depends on the scope and nature of each engagement. To learn about the role of an Outside General Counsel and to determine if you would benefit from these services, please contact me for a no-cost consultation.